Re: true type fonts

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 23:41 -0700, lostbear@softhome.net wrote:
> I have been trying to setup truetype fonts on my box. I did find good doc
> when
> I searched on google and did follow the instructions to the dot. save for
> the simple fact that /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype is a link to
> /usr/share/fints/ttfonts
>
> I am not sure as to how to verify if all the fonts are working. xset q
>
> shows /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts so I guess it there in the path.
>
> and /XF86Config-4 does have /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts as the first line in
> the fontpath
>
> But how do I verfiy if the applications are are actually able use these
> fonts. I did not check the list of fonts before installing the ttf fonts
> from Windows 98 fonts dir, so I am cannot compare to know what was there and
> what is there now.

Hi, are you referring to this:
http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html ?  There's a lot of
stuff there about adding your own fonts and stuff but all I did was
install msttcorefonts and xfs.  Then add a couple lines to
/etc/X11/fs/config so that the 'catalogue' section looks something like:

catalogue = /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
        /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,
        /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,
        /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
        /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID,
        /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
        /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
        /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
        /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

then restart xfs.

The new fonts should appear as available in any font choice dialogue
such as to configure mozilla or konqueror.

> Another trivial question how to do I universal copy paste enabled in KDE
> that is copying pasting between different applications.
>
> Like I try to copy the urls from konquerer to mozilla or i copy a message
> that i recieved in yahoo messenger to kword and stuff.

I just leftclick highlight / middleclick paste.  It doesn't work perfectly
all the time in every application though.