Re: disable auto logoff

Aravind Vinnakota <aravind@csee.wvu.edu> [2002-11-08 19:09:58 -0500]:
> I am logging into the machine using my user account and my home
> directory mounts from the NFS server when I login. The problem now
> is, when I leave the system logged on for a while, the system is
> actually getting logged off, thus preventing me from completing the
> task. So, I am wondering why it is happening, how I can avoid this,
> where should look into etc. Any suggestions?

Look for an environment variable TMOUT.  If it is set to a non-zero
value then it will log you out after that many idle seconds.

If you are logged in across the network then likely the TCP stack is
idling you out.  You may need to set a keepalive.  But I can't suggest
a method unless you were to say you were using ssh or some such.  This
would not apply if you were logged in on the console.

There is also the possibility that someone installed an auto log out
tool such as this one.

  apt-cache show autolog

Bob