Re: recover ext3 deletion

Harvey Kelly <harvey.kelly@kcl.ac.uk> [2002-11-08 21:45:40 +0000]:

> Oh my.  I cannot believe what I did.
>
> # rm -rf *
>
> I've been digging around and stumbled across recover, but seem unable
> (?) to get it to work, though I have ext3, not ext2 on the drive.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutils/doc/faq/

Look for "I used rm to remove a file. How can I get it back now?"  I
had been pointed to both recover and to The Coroner's Toolkit and
added them to the faq.  I have not used them.  But there are also
pointers to other documentation that users have suggested on the lists
previously.  Something in there might be of help.

Generally, I think when you remove a file that it is probably gone.
Especially on an active filesystem where blocks will be reused in
short order.

I am sorry for your loss.

Bob