Re: X - window manager - desktop

On Friday 08 November 2002 19:08, David Z Maze wrote:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:01:46PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> >> Now for my next question, do desktops such as gnome and kde require a
> >> specific version of window manager?
> >
> > Not that I know of.
>
> I've heard rumors that KDE only really works well with kwm, but this
> could be rather old FUD.  I know GNOME publishes a set of window
> manager standards, and any window manager that meets these standards
> will work fine.  Pretty much every window manager these days does,
> excepting really old things like twm.  (fvwm might only have partial
> support; windowmaker, enlightenment, sawfish, etc. all have the
> necessary bits.)

KDE follows the ewmh spec which is the same spec that GNOME 2 uses.  sawfish
should work just fine with KDE and kwm should work just fine with GNOME.  If
you do not use the panel or the desktop icons you can get away with using
just about any window manager.  If you do want to use either of those
programs though you really need a compliant wm.

last I checked window maker was not ewmh compliant but did support the old
GNOME 1 spec.