Re: public lending right

On 07 Nov 2002 11:10:38 -0500, "Mark L. Kahnt"
<kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 10:54, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 03:25:21AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>> > On 06 Nov 2002 17:52:33 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
>> > They do lend non-free cassettes and CDs of copyrighted music at a quid
>> > a shot or thereabouts.
>>
>> You have to pay your library to borrow CDs and cassettes?
>>
>> -rob
>
>I know some libraries require a deposit for CDs and video cassettes, as
>those seem to have a higher risk of wandering without a reasonable path
>for their recovery...

All UK libraries I've ever come across, you pay a fee to borrow CDs &
cassettes, which you don't get back - not a deposit. When they were
lending LPs and cassettes, there was a good excuse for it, the need to
pay for damage & replace material (not that they ever did...). When
CDs came along, they're digital, so the fee can go up. Digital, you
see.

Pigeon