Re: Woody - XFree86 4.1.0.1: Screen Freezing, fsck 3 times/day

This one time, at band camp, François Le Lay said:
> Hi all,
> I installed Debian 3.0 Woody on a Sony VAIO PCG-F580 Laptop. Things are
> pretty good BUT my system hangs randomly, sometimes after 10 hours,
> sometimes after 10 minutes, wether I use KDE or Gnome. I use a regular
> PS2 mouse on /dev/psaux and everything  gets frozen, Ctrl-Alt-BckSpace
> doesn't kill X, have to reboot and enjoy fsck'ing. I checked my /var/log/X*
> and it mentions this at the end:
>
> "XFree86 is not able to detect your mouse.
> Edit the file and correct the Device.
>
> Your XF86Config file is /root/XF86Config.new"
>
> So I think we can be sure that at a certain point X is lacking a device
> wether it be because of upstream buggy code or not. I use a XFree NeoMagic
> server (NM2380) and use set Software Cursor to TRUE. Here is my XF86Config-4:

<snip most of config>

> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"CorePointer"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
> 	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> EndSection

<snip more>

The mouse section looks fine to me.  How are you starting X that it's
looking for /root/XF86Config.new?  startx should just use
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, as should the login managers.  Part of the
problem here might be that you actually have two mice - one on the
laptop itself and one hooked up to the ps2 port.  You should have two
configurations for them, IIRC.  Maybe this is causing problems?

> Is there anybody here who's going through the same problem?
> For now I copied my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /root/XF86Config.new since it
> looks like the server was looking for it the log mentionned here above and it
> was actually an empty file... Just a guess, still no crash for now after 30
> minutes...
>
> Thanks,
> François

HTH,
Steve
--
"...a most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"
-- _Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure_