Noob question -- setting up home folders

Hi -

Before someone RTFMs me, I should probably ask where TFM is for account
administration?

I am relatively new to Debian, and am trying to set up user accounts for an
FTP server. I have 2 questions about making this happen, but here's how I
did it:

1-I made a different top-level directory called ./private. Then I gave the
command:
    useradd -D -b /private -g groupname
    and then added users this way
    useradd user1

The problem is that although the account logs in (via an ftp client), it
goes straight to the root directory. In the console, I can log in and get a
"No directory, logging in with HOME=/" message.

2-How dow I make a webmaster account go straight to /var/www?

Many thanks,
Dan