sound locks up kernel, where do I start?...

Hi,

I have installed Woody on a ThinkPad iSeries 1400.  Running kernel 2.4.18.
I compiled the kernel with sound support (for a Yamaha opl3sa2 card) and
let kernel pnp configure the cards at boot.  The card is detected and the
modules (opl3sa2, opl3, mpu401, ad1848) all load properly (I think...).
The problem is when I login to either Gnome or KDE, X freezes (sometimes I
will get some sound before it freezes) and I can't Cntl-Alt-Bkspc or
Cntl-Alt-F1 out of there.  The box is also dead (won't respond to ping).

If I login in twm and set the volume with a mixer, I can play sounds using
play no problem.

How would I go about either better describing the problem or tracking down
what is going wrong.  I had a look at /var/log/kern.log, daemon.log and
messages and couldn't see anything obvious there.  I also couldn't find
any "core" files.

tia

--
Luc Lefebvre                                 o
                                            /`-'

Key fingerprint = D2E5 5E35 B910 6F4E 0242  EC63 0FD9 96D0 C7F4 784E