premature cp exit?

Hi,

I've just observed something interesting on my PC. My machine is a AMD1800+ with 1GB RAM, kernel 2.4.18. I have a floppy disk:
   $ mkdosfs /dev/fd0 1440
   $ mount /mnt/floppy
   $ cp some-big-fie  /mnt/floppy

What I found is that cp returns immediately, and the floppy drive's LED doesn't turn off until 5-10 seconds later. It seems to me that cp copied the content to kernel and returned without it being committed to the physical media. This could be a wrong behavior considering that a bad media may later fail the operation. What do you guys think about it? Is there an option or something to force cp to wait?

Thanks,
-tk.