What's the best way to contact someone knowledgeable on nis?

I'm trying to sort out a strange problem with nis - or at least, I think
it's with nis. I haven't been able to find answers, including with an
earlier post hear, so I was wondering if I could locate, perhaps,
someone knowledgeable in the internal workings of nis, but I don't know
how to go about that. Anyone with suggestions?

The problem I have is strange. I use nis for lookups for passwd, groups,
hosts, etc, so that I can keep a central database on one server in my
home LAN and not have to duplicate accounts, etc.

The problem is with /etc/services. When I set up nsswitch.conf to use
nis for servers, some commands no longer work properly. For instance,
apt-get. If I try apt-get update or apt-get upgrade, they fail, stating
that connections to my various apt sources are refused. However, when I
edit nsswitch.conf so that servers uses the local file instead of nis,
all works fine. I've tried ltrace'ing and strace'ing apt-get to see if I
can spot where the problem lies, unsuccessfully. The same thing happens
if I try to telnet to a specific port (eg telnet mail.foo.bar pop3), but
only when services is being delivered via nis.

I'm at a loss to figure out why this is the case. A test program to use
getservicebyname works identically regardless of whether services is
handled by nis or not.

Any thoughts?

NL