Re: multi-TB diskarrays ???

hi ya michael

> "Michael D. Schleif" wrote:
> >
> > Having never done this with linux, I'm asking this at the lowest
> > possible level to facilitate very exhaustive research:
> >
> > What do I need to know to design a debian fileserver attached to a 4-5TB
> > diskarray?
>
> Yes, I am vague with this request.

nothing special about it being debian...

-- with 4TB of data...  you should be more worried about backups
   and redundancy ...
	- how long can that 4TB server be offline due to disk failures
	or other cpu/mb/memory failures

-- how to backup 4TB of data ... and keep data in sync
	- should be automated .... disk-to-disk copy or some like
	disk-to-tape copies

	- have at least 3 servers with the same data to make sure
	you do NOT lose any data ... due to drunk electrons going
	over the cliff

-- test any and all debian packages on a test box ..before applying
   any patches... as you cannot afford to lose 4TB of data ??
	( test on a 500GB raid5 or something )
	--- better testing --->> better reliability

-- you would obviously(?) need raid5...
	- scsi3  -->> largest disks is say 180GB or 360GB scsi
	- ide --> largest is about 200GB some are 240G or 300GB
	( bleeding edge means you'd know what to do if it dont work )

	-- what is your budget ??? that would dictate ide vs scsi

-- you would obviously need ext3 or reiserfs ...
	- you dont want to be sitting there fsck'ing your 4TB of data

-- hardware raid5  or software raid5 ???
	-- depends on what you are doing for the extra 1,000 in hw costs
	( do you notice any performance difference ??

	-- the $1,000 hw raid can be used to buy a 2nd set of 1TB of
	backup disks instead  ( more important ?? )

-- testing your finished 4TB server ....
	-- pull the power cord
	-- see what kind of problems you get...
	-- disconnect one of the disks ... see if boots in degraded mode
	-- replace the disk in the 4TB server ... see if it will resync
	itself ...

-- san disks of 1TB system is too too much $$$ ( $1M per TB ?? )...
	-- simple raid would suffice :-)

-- lots of work you got ahead of you..

http://www.Linux-Backup.net	-- backup stuff
http://www.Linux-1U-Raid5.net  --- raid stuff