Re: multi-TB diskarrays ???

"Michael D. Schleif" wrote:

> Having never done this with linux, I'm asking this at the lowest
> possible level to facilitate very exhaustive research:
>
> What do I need to know to design a debian fileserver attached to a 4-5TB
> diskarray?

Yes, I am vague with this request.

Fortunately, we are in a position to specify a very large ``fileserver''
for storing a large and growing quantity of image files.

Since we are in position to specify this beast, I do not want to taint
alternatives with any predisposition.  My first vision is of a large and
complex nfs server, filesystems of which are to be mounted by several
medical imaging systems spread over a small campus of buildings
connected by GB fiber.  This is not carved in stone; but, delivers a
glimpse of our task at hand.

Basically, I need to do considerable research regarding maximum
filesize, maximum volume size, &c.  Pointers to these issues are
welcome.

Also, I hope to find people with actual experience along these lines;
preferably beginning a dialog in a forum such as this.

Yes, we are aware of other issues, such as backup, failover, &c.
Comments about these are also welcome.

Ideas?  Care to share your experience?

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .