Re: phoenix + mozilla

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 03:07:37PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> At 02:31 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 08:36:40AM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> >> With Mozilla mail/news running, ALL of Mozilla is really running and
> >> therefore not saving you anything in regards to memory footprint.
> >
> >That's certainly not true.  Yes, there is a lot of code that is common
> >between Mozilla mail/news and the browser, and that code is loaded even
> >if you're only running mail/news, but the code that is unique to the
> >browser is not loaded into memory unless the browser is running.  It is
> >called "on-demand page loading" and all modern OSes support it.
>
> Okay, let me clarify... :-) (admittedly, I'm no programmer)
>
> When I say "ALL", I mean the main module or component of Mozilla. Is that
> correct ??

Kind of.  Noah's point is that most things won't get loaded into memory
until they're actually needed.  So yes, the Mozilla rendering engine
(Gecko) is rather large and is used by both the mail component and the
browser component, but only the bits of code that are needed by a
running process will be loaded.

-rob