Re: Samba causes printer to freeze after long period of inactivity

Hi Nate, everyone,

"nate" writes:

> > This condition seems to only happen when using Samba from the Win98
> > machine; another gnu/linux workstation uses the printer via lpd and has
> > not had the same problem.

> this makes me think the printer has a jetdirect(or similar) card in
> it?

I don't know about that, but I have used a similar printer directly
hooked up to a gnu/linux box with no problem whatsoever in the past -
it is just a matter of telling ghostscript the correct DEVICE.

> HP has drivers for win32 which allow the system to spool directly
> to the printer bypassing any print server, works pretty good. have
> you tried this?

The printer was hooked up to the win98 machine but I moved it over to
a gnu/linux box running samba.

The main error was with HP's litte printer-daemon that caused the
machine to stall durring start-up. I have disabled this, so, there is
still the option of putting the printer back on the win98 machine.

However, I was hoping to figure the cause of this error out as it only
happens with Win98->Samba->lpd after the Win98 machine has been
non-operational for a lenghty period of time.

    Win98 Box ----------\
                         GNU/Linux Box w/ Samba ---> HP Laserjet 5L Printer
    GNU/Linux Box ------/

Elizabeth