Re: Samba causes printer to freeze after long period of inactivity

This one time, at band camp, Elizabeth Barham said:
> Hi Nate, everyone,
>
> "nate" writes:
>
> > > This condition seems to only happen when using Samba from the Win98
> > > machine; another gnu/linux workstation uses the printer via lpd and has
> > > not had the same problem.
>
> > this makes me think the printer has a jetdirect(or similar) card in
> > it?
>
> I don't know about that, but I have used a similar printer directly
> hooked up to a gnu/linux box with no problem whatsoever in the past -
> it is just a matter of telling ghostscript the correct DEVICE.
>
> > HP has drivers for win32 which allow the system to spool directly
> > to the printer bypassing any print server, works pretty good. have
> > you tried this?
>
> The printer was hooked up to the win98 machine but I moved it over to
> a gnu/linux box running samba.
>
> The main error was with HP's litte printer-daemon that caused the
> machine to stall durring start-up. I have disabled this, so, there is
> still the option of putting the printer back on the win98 machine.
>
> However, I was hoping to figure the cause of this error out as it only
> happens with Win98->Samba->lpd after the Win98 machine has been
> non-operational for a lenghty period of time.
>
>     Win98 Box ----------\
>                          GNU/Linux Box w/ Samba ---> HP Laserjet 5L Printer
>     GNU/Linux Box ------/
>
> Elizabeth

It sounds like a SAMBA problem, but whether it's on the server or client
side is unclear as yet.  When printing fails from the Win box, can you
see the printer in the Network Neighborhood?  Do you get any interesting
clues in your SAMBA/lpd logs?

Steve
--
A copy of the universe is not what is required of art; one of the damned
things is ample.