Re: choice of software

On Monday 04 November 2002 10:38 pm, james leclair wrote:
> Hello,
> We currently run a variety if Debian products in the mail and file serving
> areas. Now we are investigating the possiblity of running Debian products
> on our desktops. Could someone please recommend what packages we should be
> running in the following areas for our desktop machines should we switch to
> Debian? Essentially what packages should we look to add to our Debian
> desktops. By the way, Debian server products are outstanding!!!
>
> Example:
>                :multimedia(music, movies, photo editing)
>                :mail clients
>                :game playing
I didn't see anybody answer this so, lets try. You can look at ID's games. I
heard a rumar that they program their games on linux/unix systems. I do know
for a fact that you should quite easily get linux binaries for quake 2/3 and
Return to Castle Wolfenstein. You should still have the bought copy of these
programs since no maps etc is included, just the parts that is different
between OS's. I have heard about a couple of people also playing StarCraft on
linux via Wine(freeware Windoz emulator) and also
Halflife-Counterstrike(still got some bugs). In the deb package I saw
FreeCraft a couple of months back. It is 'n Warcraft 2 clone, with
possibilities to import WarCraft II maps and characters(textures), making it
look just like Warcraft. The std graphics can be done a bit better, but if
only I was so artstic... Small games to get time buy is plentyfull as was
said later in this thread. There is also doom(I/II) and heretic clones in the
deb package. Same situation as with Quake and RTCW, you still need maps.

Have fun, but not at cost of your work. This world don't like people sitting
back and doing nothing.

Tinus