xserver-xfree86 and GeForce 2 MX 400

Finally, after over 7 months, I get my Profile 4 WITH a working DVD drive
and I'm having a devil of a time getting an X server working.

Turns out that only version 4.2.1 supports the GeForce 2 MX 400 graphics
card from NVidia, but I can't get it to configure so the screen is not
multiply overlapped (over frequency).

I think my problem is that I'm forced to use the "Medium" config mode
because I don't know the Horizontal and Vertical refresh rates for this
machine and am forced to choose from the available resolutions.

The problem is, all I've found so far on the web is info suggesting that
the "natural" resolution for this card is 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz. What I need
is a way to translate this information into refresh rates.

The screen is a "Plug and Play Truecolor Monitor" with 800 x 600
resolution.

When I plug this into dpkg-reconfigure as the "best monitor resolution", I
get a running X server, but all the screen modes are either chopped up
horizontal bars, or chopped up vertical bars, or screens with blue lines
separated by various numbers of black lines, crating various shades of
dark blue.

My questions are basically:

1. Is there a way to translate resolution into refresh rates?

2. Is there a site where I can expect to find this technical info on a
   wide variety of cards?

3. Has anyone actually made this hardware work?  (How? ;-)

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list just now.

All contributions welcomed!

Thanks in Advance,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-