Mozilla/Konqueror + Kaffe JVM?

Hi,
I just upgraded my system to Debian 3.0 and am happily playing with Konqueror
and Mozilla which are now real replacements for Netscape which was starting
to show its age.  NS was actually my last proprietary software package, so
I'm feeling really good about that. :-D

There is one problem though -- even though I opted to install Kaffe and Jikes
as Free Java replacements, the browsers are not apparently configured to use
them.  I kind of figured dpkg would work that out for itself (I've gotten
spoiled, I guess ;-)).

Going to the Mozilla webpages I found instructions for installing a Java 1.4
plugin, which I could obviously do, but I really want to run a Free version.

The main reason for this is that I'm going to be developing some Java-based
web applications, and I want them to work in this Free-software-only
configuration. So I'd like to have at least one of these two browsers
configured to run a Kaffe JVM/JRE so I can test in what is basically going to
be a "stressed" configuration.  I'm hoping it's actually possible to get a
Java 1 / AWT / Jython based applet to run this way. But the first step is
obviously getting the browser to use the JVM in the first place.

I opted against using Java 2 / Swing / Jython because of the SCSL licensing
issues described in http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/
as well as some performance issues I was warned about, BTW. I'm assuming
that's still true.

For reference, starting Jython on the command line gives me this message,
which leads me to believe I actually do have a working system:
Jython 2.1 on java1.0.5 (JIT: kaffe.jit)

Although I do see some messages like this:
*sys-package-mgr*: skipping bad jar, '/usr/share/kaffe/tools.jar'

Hmm, while I'm at it, I notice that:

import awt
import java.awt

give me errors like:

>>> import java.awt
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: no module named java

even though kaffe.org claims to have AWT.  Hmm, that doesn't sound so
promising.

MInd you, I'd be happy with any Free JVM -- Kaffe just seemed like the
natural choice when I was looking at the Debian packages.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Terry