Re: Mozilla/Konqueror + Kaffe JVM?

Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I just upgraded my system to Debian 3.0 and am happily playing with Konqueror
> and Mozilla which are now real replacements for Netscape which was starting
> to show its age.  NS was actually my last proprietary software package, so
> I'm feeling really good about that. :-D
>
> There is one problem though -- even though I opted to install Kaffe and Jikes
> as Free Java replacements, the browsers are not apparently configured to use
> them.  I kind of figured dpkg would work that out for itself (I've gotten
> spoiled, I guess ;-)).
>
> Going to the Mozilla webpages I found instructions for installing a Java 1.4
> plugin, which I could obviously do, but I really want to run a Free version.

I don't think Kaffe supplies any sort of java plugin.  The only one I
know of that does is Sun's JRE, for which debs can be found from
blackdown.org.

[snip problems with kaffe]
> MInd you, I'd be happy with any Free JVM -- Kaffe just seemed like the
> natural choice when I was looking at the Debian packages.

Well, Java and free software is a contradiction anyway, so I wouldn't be
too concerned about using a free JVM.

--
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!