Re: X causes system 'black screeen of death'

DeanFujioka said:
> Nate-
> the output to X.log is below. I think it didn't work the first time
> because I  inserted a space before the &...

> (--) Chipset ProSavage/Twister found

Just a guess but it seems from the docs I can find this chipset
is not specifically supported in either XFree86 4.1 or Xfree86 4.2
directly. they mention savage 4, but from your results it seems
like it is probably not supported.

My next suggestion is to try this 3rd party driver, I have used
it on my laptop which has a Savage/IX or Savage/MX chip in
the past with success. this driver specifically lists the
Prosavage "Twinstar" as being supported. You can download the
driver here:

http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html

You can try the driver I compiled for my laptop earlier this year,
it is an older version then the current one, but looking at the
source it does have a bunch of Prosavage and twister references
in it so it may work. you can get this driver here:

http://portal.aphroland.org/savage/

if you decide to try my driver, backup your current driver which
is /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
cp savage_drv.o savage_drv.o.old
tar -zxvf /path/to/driver.tar.gz

that will uncompress a new savage_drv.o which you can try. No
gaurantees, no warranties. If you don't trust me, then I reccomend
getting the driver from the website and compiling it from
source, note compiling it from source(in my experience) takes a VERY
long time, because it (for me) involves building the entire X source
tree(easiest way to build it I think), my laptop takes 3-4 hours to
build the code(takes a couple GB of space to build too).

so, if this doesn't work I am not sure what to suggest.

good luck

nate