Re: Locales, Mutt, OpenOffice, Emacs [was: locales and terminal]

thanks, but didn´t seem to help.  see in line:

> this variable. First, you need to upgrade. Version 1.3.28 is obsolete.
> IIRC, iconv support was recently rewritten; perhaps you have the old
> version in 1.3.28 (I don't remember).

upgraded to 4.0.4 (testing); no difference in performance.

> I don't use us-with-deadkeys, just direct accented characters. I have
> the following in my .emacs if this may help you...
>
> (standard-display-european 1)
> (set-input-mode (car (current-input-mode))
>   (nth 1 (current-input-mode)) 0))
gave me an error at first; I deleted the final ")", which eliminated
the error, but didn't help withthe typing propblem

> > well, I use the command "export", eg, "export $LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
>
> without the $, I suppose.

that´s right