Re: Locales, Mutt, OpenOffice, Emacs [was: locales and terminal]

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:47:39 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
>  -mutt simply WON'T display accented characters properly\.  Depending
>  on whether I set the CHARSET variable (in .muttrc) to UTF-8 or
>  iso-8859-1, accented characters display as ? or \xxx (a three-digit
>  numerical dcode).

AFAIK, this is not related to the charset variable. I don't even use
this variable. First, you need to upgrade. Version 1.3.28 is obsolete.
IIRC, iconv support was recently rewritten; perhaps you have the old
version in 1.3.28 (I don't remember).

>  -terminal-based emacs (emacs -nw, which I use to write emails, especially
>  when I'm not at my desk) will not display accented charactersm.
>  When I try to type them in using the us-with-deadkeys keyboard,
>  emacs freaks out and sometimes crashes.

I don't use us-with-deadkeys, just direct accented characters. I have
the following in my .emacs if this may help you...

(standard-display-european 1)
(set-input-mode (car (current-input-mode))
  (nth 1 (current-input-mode)) 0))

> well, I use the command "export", eg, "export $LANG=en_US.UTF-8"

without the $, I suppose.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International