File locking in Openoffice.org (was Re: Running script on logout from KDE)

Hi Marius,

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 06:43:04PM +0800, marius rogn wrote:
> My real problem is that I'm having problems with users sharing files
> (OpenOfffice.org files). On my fileserver I have a directory where all my
> users have a commnon directory, there they store their projectfiles
> (OpenOffice.org format), every now and then two users tries to write/view
> the same file simultaniously, resulting in strange things happening, most
> noticably that newly written text dissapearing (very bad).

You might like to try using OpenOffice.org's locking, provided that you do
not use Solaris with the NFS share.  From the README:

---------------
File Locking

In the default setting, file locking is turned off in OpenOffice.org. To
activate it, you have to set th e appropriate environment variables
SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1 and export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING. These
entries are already in disabled form in the soffice script file.

Warning: The activated file locking feature can cause problems with Solaris
2.5.1 and 2.7 used in conjun ction with Linux NFS 2.0. If your system
environment has these parameters, we strongly recommend that yo u avoid
using the file locking feature. Otherwise, OpenOffice.org will hang when you
try to open a file from a NFS mounted directory from a Linux computer.

You can turn file locking on by editing the soffice script file, or if you
are using the Debian packages, like this:

su
echo 'export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1' >> /etc/openoffice/openoffice.conf

This method will survive package updates.

You need to enable file locking on each client machine I guess.  Please let
us know if that works - I have not had any reports back so far from people
using the file locking.

Chris