locales and accented charaters

i upgraded to woody last night, and my locales appear to be completely
borked.  messages in mutt with accented characters in them show up
in ascii codes like this:

  Die Aufnahmepr\374fung dient uns und Ihnen: Zur Kl\344rung Ihrer
  Kenntnisse, zur Beratung. Nur wenn wir sicher sind, dass Sie das
  mitbringen, was wir voraussetzen, k\366nnen wir Ihnen den Zugang zum
  Studium \366ffnen.

when replying to an email, the same text when quoted looks fine (the
accented characters render as what they're supposed to be).  weird.

i tried `dpkg-reconfigure locales`, and generated en_US.ISO-8859-1 and
en_US.UTF-8 ... still the same problem.  i really don't have any
further ideas ... can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu