Where is the real /home directory?

When I installed Debian, I made a 1 GB /home partition in hda6.  The
system works fine but I don't understand why when I look at /home and its
subdirectories,there's nothing that indicates that hda6 is mounted there but
mtab and fstab both show it is there. Likewise, when I look at hda6, there's nothing that shows that it is the /home partition. When I do a mkdir, touch, cp, or mv to a /home subdirectory, the file does appear there but nothing shows in hda6 not even a user.. It seems to me that whatever is sent to /home should appear in hda6. Here's my problem, hda6 is a 1 GB partition mounted in /home and it appears to remain empty even after I have accumulated a lot of data in /home.
So,  what's going on ?

mtab

/dev/hdb5 / ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext2 rw 0 0         **********
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/da1 vfat rw 0 0

fstab also shows that hda6 is mounted in /home

fstab
#
/dev/hdb5    /    ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro    0    1
/dev/hda6    /home    ext2    defaults    0    2      **********
/dev/hda5    none    swap    sw    0    0
proc    /proc    proc    defaults    0    0
/dev/cdrom    /cdrom    iso9660    defaults,ro,exec,user,noauto    0    0
/dev/fd0    /floppy    auto    defaults,user,noauto    0    0
/dev/cdrom2    /cdrom2    iso9660    defaults,ro,user,noauto    0    0