Re: Where is the real /home directory?

>>>>> "alex" == alex  <radsky@ncia.net> writes:

alex> When I installed Debian, I made a 1 GB /home partition in hda6.
alex> The system works fine but I don't understand why when I look at
alex> /home and its subdirectories,there's nothing that indicates that
alex> hda6 is mounted there

What would you expect to see?

alex> but mtab and fstab both show it is there.  Likewise, when I look
alex> at hda6, there's nothing that shows that it is the /home
alex> partition.  When I do a mkdir, touch, cp, or mv to a /home
alex> subdirectory, the file does appear there but nothing shows in hda6
alex> not even a user..

You mean in /dev/hda6?  That is because /dev/hda6 is a block device, not
a directory.  /dev/hda6 represents the raw contents on the disk, so
there should not be anything under /dev/hda6.

alex> It seems to me that whatever is sent to /home should appear in
alex> hda6.  Here's my problem, hda6 is a 1 GB partition mounted in
alex> /home and it appears to remain empty even after I have accumulated
alex> a lot of data in /home.

Run df to see how much space is being used on /dev/hda6.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA