Re: mail in linux

Earl F Hampton wrote:

i read up the documentation. from what i understand, it can not. dont
you think downloading headers alone first, deleting unwanted ones off
the server itself and finally downloading the required ones is a more
efficient way (in terms of internet bandwidth)? is there any way of
achieving it?

I saw your msg about the checking out the headers before getting the body so I wrote a small perl script to down the headers. You can play with it if you like. For me it didn't help any because most of the mail I get is just text. The time spent opening the socket twice was longer than it took to just down the body to start with. Maybe if your spam to mail ratio is higher than mine it would help you more.

http://hamiii.sytes.net/Scripts/Perl/index.phtml?page=popcheck.pl.html
thanx for your help. i checked the script and although i do not know perl much, it was kind of easy to follow.

but i think i miscommunicated what i want to do earlier. here is what i will like to to:

-    download all the headers in the pop account
-    mark unwanted headers for deletion
-    delete these off the pop server (without downloading)
-    now, the pop server has messages that i really want
-    download these messages

anything in linux world that can do this?

- sandip