Re: Debian equivalent of .login file?

On Sunday 13 October 2002 20:37, Mathias De Belder wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 01:27:36PM -0400, Levi Waldron wrote:
> > > What's the Debian equivalent of Unix's .login and .logout files?
> > > Any user can place these files in their home directory and their
> > > commands will be run at login/logout, without having to do anything
> > > as root?
> >
> > .bashrc and .bash_logout respectively. .bashrc should be sourced from
> > .bash_profile.

> Is there any similar things for KDM? I want some stuff ran when I log in
> on the machine, and some stuff on logout.

I found that commands in my .bashrc file got executed every time I opened a
new konsole, but I have commands I only want to run once when I first log in.
It seems there are 2 ways to make commands that only run when you first log
in, but not every time you open a bash shell:

1) put them in your ~/.bash_login file
2) In KDE, drag and drop programs them into the Autostart folder which should
be on your desktop (but wasn't on mine), or put shell scripts in the
/home/username/.kde/Autostart directory and make sure the file has execute
permission.

Commands in the .bash_logout file seem to get run only during final logout,
not when you exit from shells.