Re: [Semi-OT]: Dual Head Laptop?

nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> writes:

> Gary Hennigan said:
>
> > I know the G400 AGP works fine in a workstation using X in Xinerama,
> > which is my current setup, but I'd like to be more confident it'd work
> > with a G450 PCI in a docking-station application before I recommend.
>
> how about getting a laptop with a good amount of video memory(I don't
> know whats standard these days, my T20 has 8MB i think) in combo with
> Accelerated X LX :
>
> http://www.xinside.com/Pages/LX/LX%20ProductPage.html
>
> price is $149 and you get(in general) top notch drivers, good quality
> software. it supports running the LCD and an external monitor at the
> same time on some laptops. demo is freely available. They mention
> a "Zoom" mode which sounds like some sort of display spanning, but
> I have never heard of the term, reccomend you ask them if your
> interested. It might work more transparently too, not sure.

Hmm. I've seen this capability mentioned, and it might be interesting,
but in this case he doesn't want to use the "small" LCD on the laptop
and a nice 20" external LCD simultaneously. He wants to use 2 nice 20"
external LCDs when he's in the office. And the internal laptop LCD
when he's on the road.

But I'll certainly look at the commercial X servers and see what they
say!

Thanks,
Gary