Re: [Semi-OT]: Dual Head Laptop?

Gary Hennigan said:

> I know the G400 AGP works fine in a workstation using X in Xinerama,
> which is my current setup, but I'd like to be more confident it'd work
> with a G450 PCI in a docking-station application before I recommend.

how about getting a laptop with a good amount of video memory(I don't
know whats standard these days, my T20 has 8MB i think) in combo with
Accelerated X LX :

http://www.xinside.com/Pages/LX/LX%20ProductPage.html

price is $149 and you get(in general) top notch drivers, good quality
software. it supports running the LCD and an external monitor at the
same time on some laptops. demo is freely available. They mention
a "Zoom" mode which sounds like some sort of display spanning, but
I have never heard of the term, reccomend you ask them if your
interested. It might work more transparently too, not sure.

might be simpler and or less costly then a docking station that has
pci slots with a pci video card in it.

Xinside knocks Xfree86 every chance they get thats the only problem
I have with them. It's annoying at best for me, but their software
is good, I've been using it off and on since 1996 on Linux, Solaris/x86
and FreeBSD.

I haven't tried the LX version of accelerated X only the standard
version and OpenGL version(which is not compadible with debian)

nate