sound problems

Hello everybody,

I've just switched to Debian Woody 3.0 from RH/Mandrake based systems. I'm
trying out the features of Debian, here's one question about sound:

I can play sound as root using mp3blaster on the console, but can't use
mpg123 or mp3blaster as a normal user, where do I edit the permissions so
that normal users can play sound?

I use KDE. While starting, it says, couldn't load sound service.... I think
this again could be the permissions problem. Is there any other thing I need
to do to get this working?

I've searched the mail archives, but couldn't find a solution. I'm also
trying out other stuff... could you tell me what's new to Debian, that's not
there in RH/Mandrake (like apt-get), so that I could configure/run my system
easily? as in, something analogous to the chkconfig utility found in RH based
distros...

thanks,
Amit.

---
If you don't strike oil in twenty minutes, stop boring.

Amit Shah
http://amitshah.nav.to/