Why does Root need passwords?

Hi there,

after ca. 1 month uptime I had a bad system crash due to a hardware
failure. I encountered strange behaviors and after some reboots I set
"forcefsck". Several errors where found which my ext3 did not realize by
journalling (and now I know why Ext3 is still experimental).

And since this day I need passwords when changing from root to another
user by doing "su <username>" - not funny, since some init-scripts want
to change to lower privileged users (like distributed-net).

How can I recover this situation?

Thanks a lot!