Re: digitising cd collection with ogg vorbis

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:53, Ole Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if anybody had any good suggestion as to how to
> digitise a cd collection into ogg vorbis.
>
> - What software to use (ripping, coding)
> - How to name the ogg files (using a online cd database? which?)
> - What hardware to use (I have a cdda capable cdrecorder)
> - How to store the files (on disk I guess, but in some kind of
>   hierarchy with category etc?)
>

> I'm just wondering if any of you have some experience on this?
> Perhaps undertaken such a task yourself?  I am going to do this to
> about 500 CDs and want to do it right from the start. ;)
>
> Thanks!
>
> (Debian GNU/Linux 3.0)
>
> --
> Ole Sebastian Stein
>
> ``Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
> tried it.'' -- Donald E. Knuth, March 1977

I did it sometime before ogg vorbis was *there*, using a *patent
encumbered compression format*. While it is quite doable, and I found
that I could put 6-10 audio CDs on each data CD, ripping and encoding
does *take its time*. An idea is that if you use the shell to do your
ripping, install cdfs, and use it to mount your audio CDs - each track
will be seen as a wav file and save the ripping time (and the disk space
for those interim files.) Also, keep in mind that your choice in bit
rate is more noticeable on CDs that were done DDD, compared to CDs that
were mastered AAD - you may want to play with some sample tracks to
decide what sounds comfortable for each.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org