Re: Partition Resizing/Re-arranging

Michelle Storm <jade@ursine.dyndns.org> [2002-10-24 02:26:44 -0700]:
> > Now, as for recommendations, here are mine. For starters, quit using
> > /usr/local. I prefer to have all of my users (myself included) store ALL
> > of their personal files within their home directory. This makes managing
> > it all much easier. Just my suggestions. Good luck. :)

Good suggestions.  And a good commentary with suggestions prior to
this part!  May I disagree with this part?

> The reasoning behind using /usr/local for storing some files is:
> 1) Roommate that introduced me to Debian suggested I use my /usr/local for
>    my publicly shared files (mp3's, video's, etc)
> 2) I add and delete users constantly, and if there's something I want to keep
>    I try to move it to a central location.
> 3) Putting it in /usr/local has the added benefit that no one can delete it
>    accidentally, unless they have root access.

I also put shared data in /usr/local.  If it is not specific to a user
and not big enough to warrant adding a second disk just for that
purpose then /usr/local/project is a reasonable place for it.  An
example is /usr/local/www.  I don't back up /var and so I don't want
to store my most important work in /var.

If I have to add another disk to support it then I mount the
additional disk in /mnt/a or some such name and use that as the shared
area.  Frequently I create symlinks from /usr/local something to that
place.

I never back up /var, /tmp, /usr.  I do back up /usr/local, /home,
/etc, /root and /mnt.  If I need to recover I install a pristine
system.  The recover might be because of a compromise and so that is
needed.  Then I will recover the data files back to those places.
I backup to a second machine which acts as a live spinning backup
server using rsync with 14 days of incremental saves.

For most data files using a good version control and configuration
management system is very useful.  Most data files are text and I put
those in CVS.  (Exceptions are pictures on the web.  Those are backed
up and not put in revision control.)  Using configuration management
whether CVS or something newer can save you at many times when
restoring from backup is not as convenient or perhaps not even
possible.

Bob