Partition Resizing/Re-arranging

I'd like to know if it's possible and if so, HOW, to rearrange my
current partitions. Most of the data on /usr/local I am not worried about,
as I have it on cd's (most of it's mp3's). My personal home directory I
do not want to loose the data. The rest is only important as far as what
the system needs.

Below is my current partitions.

/dev/hda3             464M   69M  372M  16% /
/dev/hda1             7.6M  4.9M  2.4M  68% /boot
/dev/hda5             6.9G   33M  6.5G   1% /tmp
/dev/hda6              23G  1.3G   21G   6% /usr
/dev/hda7              19G  9.5G  8.0G  55% /usr/local
/dev/hda8              14G  9.6G  3.5G  74% /home
/dev/hda9              11G  201M  9.7G   2% /var

System info returned from: uname -a
Linux dragon 2.4.19-k7 #1 Sun Oct 6 20:29:56 EST 2002 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

What I'd like to do it combine /usr and /usr/local and add about
half the space from /var to this new one.

This is the original setup from my very first install of debian.
I didn't have anyone to talk to about how to partition and how much
to give each partition. I just picked up a linux book and estimated
based on examples from the book.

Below is an estimate of what I'd like it to look like when I'm done.

Filesystem            Size  Mounted on
/dev/hda3             464M  /
/dev/hda1             7.6M  /boot
/dev/hda5               6G  /tmp
/dev/hda6              44G  /usr/local <-- /usr & /usr/local combined
/dev/hda8            17.9G  /home
/dev/hda9               5G  /var

***If you have any suggestions about partition sizes and arrangements, Please
***tell me. Right now I'm aiming for a large partition, to store mp3's on.

I would like to move the old /usr/local to the /usr to make a new combined drive
I would like to move 3G from /var to the new /usr/local
I would like to move 3G from /var to /home
I would like to move 0.9G from /tmp to /home

The reasoning behind this is that I've found I'm using /usr/local a lot, and
I am rarelyusing /usr and /var. I also have found I am using /home more, so would
like to add a little more to it.

I don't want to have to reinstall, so am wondering if there's a way to move it.
I can, if I have to, install an additional 15G hd to use as a backup.

I am a novice to linux still, I'm using linux because I learn best when I actually
use what I'm trying to learn.

--
Michelle Alexia "Jade" Storm

P.S. if more information is needed, just ask. (please tell me how to do it also, as
I'm still learning, and may not know what you're talking about.)