Re: Partition Resizing/Re-arranging

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 03:08, Michelle Storm wrote:
> I'd like to know if it's possible and if so, HOW, to rearrange my
> current partitions. Most of the data on /usr/local I am not worried about,
> as I have it on cd's (most of it's mp3's). My personal home directory I
> do not want to loose the data. The rest is only important as far as what
> the system needs.
--snip--
> What I'd like to do it combine /usr and /usr/local and add about
> half the space from /var to this new one.
--snip--
> ***If you have any suggestions about partition sizes and arrangements, Please
> ***tell me. Right now I'm aiming for a large partition, to store mp3's on.
--snip--
> The reasoning behind this is that I've found I'm using /usr/local a lot, and
> I am rarelyusing /usr and /var. I also have found I am using /home more, so would
> like to add a little more to it.

Ok. For starters, what you're most likely going to want to use is
parted. (apt-get install parted) The link to the homepage should be
either in the package description or the documentation. I'd strongly
suggest reading ALL of the documentation.

One of the limitations of parted is that it cannot move the BEGINNING of
an ext2 partition. From what you showed us as your current partition
setup, it would appear that your actual partition table is laid out
something like this:

/dev/hda1 -- /boot
/dev/hda2 -- something else. swap perhaps?
/dev/hda3 -- /
/dev/hda4 -- something else again. Windows patition?
/dev/hda5 -- /tmp
/dev/hda6 -- /usr
/dev/hda7 -- /usr/local
/dev/hda8 -- /home
/dev/hda9 -- /var

Now, looking at this, and assuming that is how the partitions are
physically laid out on the disk, here's the verdict.

You can resize /usr so that it includes the space from /usr/local.
You'll lose the stuff from /usr/local however, so back it up first.

You can resize /home IF you're willing to sacrifice space from /var in
order to do it. Once again, you'll have to kill off /var in order to do
this. (You can always recreate it later.)

Now, as for recommendations, here are mine. For starters, quit using
/usr/local. I prefer to have all of my users (myself included) store ALL
of their personal files within their home directory. This makes managing
it all much easier. Just my suggestions. Good luck. :)

-Alex