Re: Anonymous Proftp setup problems

Michael Olds said:
> I am unable to get Proftp Anonymous ftp working (download only; "real"
> use on the internal network is working fine), and am hoping that someone

you mention "internal" network. to me this makes me think you
are running it behind NAT. passive ftp does not work well with NAT.
try your client in ACTIVE ftp mode or put the ftp server infront
of your NAT box.

> If I run proftpd -nd5 debugging I get:
>
> The error log reads: failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21; address already
> in use

run fuser -n tcp 21

if that doesn't turn up anything then check

netstat -an | grep 21

sounds like your problem is NAT though, serving FTP data behind
dynamic NAT is not a good idea. FTP works fine if you use static
NAT(1 external IP maps to 1 internal ip on all ports). I have only
done this on cisco routers though.

nate