Anonymous Proftp setup problems

I am unable to get Proftp Anonymous ftp working (download only; "real" use
on the internal network is working fine), and am hoping that someone here
can help me out with this. I have read all the Proftp docs faqs etc, and
subscribe to the list where I have not received any help. I have checked,
hosts_allow and deny, ftpaccess, I have user ftp, and nogroup, I have
uninstalled the files set up by wu-ftp which I had on originally, Proftp was
setup as a Debian package, and I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it as
initrd, reinstalled it as standalone; this is on a Debian Woody box. I am
running in standalone mode, I have checked the syntax, and I have followed
the other suggested remedies I have seen.

If I run proftpd -nd5 debugging I get:

The error log reads: failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21; address already in
use
Check server type directive to ensure you are configured correctly:
I have

ServerType standalone
Port 21

I am not aware of anything else that might be using Port 21...and if it is,
it is out of service most of the time because I do not usually have that
port open on the router.

So first, let me ask a fundamental: Is this setup of the Anonymous Ftp
directive correct:

<Anonymous /ftp> (this is a partition /ftp user: me,rwx; group: ftp-data,rx;
world, rx)

  User            ftp
  Group           nogroup
  UserAlias       anonymous ftp
  RequireValidShell     off
  # Limit the maximum number of anonymous logins
  MaxClients         10
  DisplayLogin       welcome.msg
  DisplayFirstChdir     .message

  <Directory /ftp>
    <Limit WRITE>
      DenyAll
    </Limit>
  </Directory>
</Anonymous>

I have now reached the stage where it looks like I am being logged in, but
it a) takes a very long time, and b) times out before it gives me a
directory listing

This is the error message I get from the ftp client latest message first:

      *** CuteFTP Pro 2.0 - build Dec  4 2001 *** see notations within

STATUS:>    Getting listing ""...
STATUS:>    Resolving host name ftp.mydomain.net...
STATUS:>    Host name ftp.mydomain.net resolved: ip = 00.000.00.00.
STATUS:>    Connecting to ftp server ftp.mydomain.net:21 (ip =
00.000.00.00.)...
STATUS:>    Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
      220 ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1 Server (mydomain.net) [mydomain]
STATUS:>    Connected. Authenticating...
COMMAND:>   USER anonymous
      331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your
password.
COMMAND:>   PASS *****
      230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
STATUS:>    Login successful.
COMMAND:>   PWD
      257 "/" is current directory.
STATUS:>    Home directory: /
COMMAND:>   FEAT
      500 FEAT not understood.
STATUS:>    This site doesn't support the 'features' command.
COMMAND:>   REST 100
      350 Restarting at 100. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer.
STATUS:>    This site can resume broken downloads.
COMMAND:>   TYPE A
      200 Type set to A.
COMMAND:>   REST 0
      350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer.
COMMAND:>   PASV
      227 Entering Passive Mode (000,000,000,00,128,14). (NOTE: IP of Local
server)
COMMAND:>   LIST
STATUS:>    Connecting ftp data socket 000.000.000.00:32782...(also IP of
local server...does 32782 need to be open on the router...and I did try
that, with no change)
ERROR:>     Timeout.