Re: Debian, too easy?

Russell sez:
} Gregory Seidman wrote:
[...]
} > A system registry is about having a unified concept of configuration and
} > preferences. In general, it is a good thing. I look forward to a solid
} > implementation thereof. I'm betting on Apple doing it first.
}
} IMHO, a registry would be ok if it was ascii/human readable,

An absolute must. MacOS X uses XML for the purpose.

} you could tell applications to ignore it,

Um, no. Each user should be able to override any settings, but having
applications just ignore settings is unworkable.

} and no applications are forced or required to know about it.

No! For it to be useful, all applications must use it. That's why there
needs to be a good implementation; good means that it is so solid and
convenient that it is harder not to use it than to use it.

} A set of utilities for examining and manipulating it would be useful
} too.

Absolutely. Therein lies the appeal of using XML.

--Greg