Debian, too easy?

I just thought of something while setting up port forwarding on my
server....
First I searched google on how to do something like that and came
across a howto.  I figured thats great and tried to work through it
but it was pretty technical and I didn't really have a clue what I
was doing.  Then I figured there must be some magic debian script
that will set it up for me and sure enough, ipmasq does exactly what
I want, no knowledge required.

This is all great and thats the main reason I use debian but am I
actually learning anything?  I've been running debian on my desktop
and server for over a year now and know how to configure it quite
well but I still dont really feel I know linux.  There are so many
debian tools that automagically take care of system administration
that I think I would be lost without them.  While I wouldnt want to
give all this up I also wouldn't want to find that what I know about
linux is totally useless for any distro other than debian.

I really dont have much experience with other linux distros so maybe
its not that different but it feels like I'm in a pretty
debian-specific world.

What do you think, could I get away with putting Linux on my resume or
is my debian experience too limited?

leo