Re: Partition Resizing/Re-arranging

When replying either use your email client's "reply to list" function
(if it has one) or otherwise use Reply All (and preferably take me off
of the CC list so that I don't get a duplicate from the list and from
you. :) This way this discussion will be available for people to peruse
and hopefully learn from in the future. With that said, back to the
topic at hand. :)

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 03:45, Michelle Storm wrote:
> this is from: df -ha
--snip--

Since you already have parted installed, "parted -s /dev/hda print"
would be the most useful.

> As for the /usr/local
> I use this to store files like mp3's and such that I want
> to share but not put them on a specific user.

As you might have seen in Tom's reply on-list, /usr/local is usually
used primarily for intalling non-packaged software. Odds are very good
that when you set up your system, you set your home directories to be
world readable. You can just create a new directory in your home dir for
mp3's for example, and set the permissions however you wish. If you
think that typing /home/yourusername/mp3s is too much for regular
access, you can always either create a symbolic link to the directory,
or just mount it somewhere under / using the --bind option of mount.

> Oh, and I'm using ext3 filesystems.

Everything I say about ext2 applies to ext3 as well.

> With the above additional information, are your suggestions
> still the same?

Yup, they are.

> could I move the /usr/local to /usr -- mv /usr/local /usr/
> and as for var, can I do the same thing.

Yup.

> Then delete the /usr/local and /var dirs... add the space to /usr and /home
> then recreate /var with what's left?

Yup.

-Alex