Re: Dumb terminals possible with i386 Debian

On  0, Andy <list@firman.us> wrote:
> > Metaframe still requires a local CPU to handle display stuff.  You
> > can't route VGA signals over ATM.
>
> I did not mean Asynchronous Transfer Mode......
> (not sure if you meant that either...just trying to being clear)
> I meant that it was like an ATM card that you stick into this
> little box that had jacks for keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
> Some sort of flash card.....wish I knew more....sorry.
> (I will find out and get back to this list)

Ah, I was thinking async transfer mode.  Sorry.

Anyway, you still need a local CPU.

> > Citrix essentially does what X does a lot less efficiently.  X is
> > pretty much the best thin client technology around.  Why would you
> > want metaframe?
>
> I don't know really .... you tell me.   (please)

I can't imagine many reasons, unless you wanted a 'doze connection as
well, in which case metaframe and VNC both do pretty well.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Classifications of inanimate objects:  Those that don't work, those that break down, and those that get lost.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au