Re: Dumb terminals possible with i386 Debian

On Monday 21 October 2002 22:36, Tom Cook wrote:
> Andy <list@firman.us> wrote:
> > Thin client technology....isn't that what you are talking about?
> >
> > I have always wondered.............why can't Linux (especially Debian
> > Linux) do the same thing Citrix is doing?
>
> Citrix essentially does what X does a lot less efficiently.  X is
> pretty much the best thin client technology around.  Why would you
> want metaframe?

I don't want Metaframe.  I want to know if the same thing can be done
with Linux (especially Debian).
What he had was Win2000 with Citrix serving 20 thin client terminals in a town
300 miles away over broadband.  These little terminals are manufactured in
Taiwan and I can't find the company.  They had a little slot in which to
stick a little ATM like flash card in order to logon.  No moving parts at all
in this little unit.  You simply plug in a keyboard, monitor, mouse, power,
and ethernet, then your little flash card, and you get a Windows screen
in which to run all of the Office applications, email and web, from the main
windows server in the other town.

Thin client boxes are attractive since one does not have to deal with
old hardware, failing memory, flaky video cards, hard drives, etc....

I want to build a Debian server and be able to serve 50-100 thin clients over
a 100Mbps LAN.   I can build the server but I am at a loss on how to get a
thin client running this way.

Anyone doing this with Debian?