Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:33:52PM -0700, nate wrote:

> i haven't tried apt-get for rpm on redhat yet, but I tried it
> on suse 7.3 about 4-5 months ago and was dissapointed in it. tried
> to do some security updates, some completed fine then it errored
> out and refused to continue(or provide any hints why it errored out).
> I do have a really good redhat 7.3 box at my feet here which i could
> try it out on, sounds interesting.

   I used RedHat a few years ago for about a month and rpm gave me such
a headache that I bolted back to Debian.

   I am curious. How would one upgrade from V7 to V8.0 of RedHat? Is
it a complete install requiring you purchase the entire CD set again or
is there some sort of upgrade process and if there is, does it work
well?

   I am awaiting a new ThinkPad and I'm in a bind. I know that the
ThinkPad I am getting only works with XFree 4.2 which Debian doesn't yet
support (at least in stable). Which means I'd have to point to another
source list (who's address I forget). No real biggee. But what is, is
IBM's support for only RPM. I work heavily with IBM's Websphere. On
Linux that means you have to use rpm. You could try using alien but
installing Websphere WITH rpm is enough of a nightmare; trying to resolve
internal dependencies with alien is another I'd like to avoid.

   I might give RedHat 8 a try just for sh*ts and giggles but it really
pains me to leave Debian.

   Justin.

--
Justin F. Knotzke