Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

Justin F. Knotzke said:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:46:37PM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>
>> It's being done, frighteningly enough. See http://freshrpms.net/
>
>  According to their examples, being done quite well at that. Surely
> there must be limitations if RedHat aren't using it themselves?

the biggest problem i can see is redhat probably wouldn't be
able to get absolute control over the system. that is to be sure
all packages available are fully tested & stable for the redhat
systems. for optimal results they would need strict procedures in
place to control what is made available, and how (much like debian's
procedures probably). And for them to support it, it would be a big
& expensive task to support hundreds or even thousands of additional
packages that they already have to support.

i haven't tried apt-get for rpm on redhat yet, but I tried it
on suse 7.3 about 4-5 months ago and was dissapointed in it. tried
to do some security updates, some completed fine then it errored
out and refused to continue(or provide any hints why it errored out).
I do have a really good redhat 7.3 box at my feet here which i could
try it out on, sounds interesting.

nate