Re: potato to woody upgrade problem

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:26:09AM -0400, levi.waldron@utoronto.ca wrote:

> > The release notes didn't say there were any problems going
> > from 2.2 to 2.4. What did I forget to do?
>
> If you modified /etc/lilo.conf to add the new kernel, did you remember to
> type "lilo" before rebooting?  Not doing this will lock it up for sure.
>
> The bootdisk-HOWTO tells you what various LILO error codes (ie, "L" or
> "LI") mean and how to fix them:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/a1483.html

I get well past the lilo prompt. I can see my initrd being mounted
in the bootup messages. Then it mounts the real root filesystem, it
gets past the point where it checks module dependency, it locks up
right after it loads the module for my network card.

The same setup with my old 2.2.15 kernel boots just fine, loads the
eepro module and is fully functional on my network.

If I comment out eepro from /etc/modules, my box boots up under the
2.4 kernels and I can log in. An odd thing I just noticed is there
are no modules loaded at all. However, I can insmod eepro if I
give it the IRQ and IO port on the commandline, but it locks up dead
when I do an "ifup eth0". I have to hit reset to reboot, if I hit
capslock or numlock, the lights on the keyboard do not change.