Re: which half are you in?

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:57:15PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> But back in 1993 when I first started using Linux I was using dd on my
> Sun to rawwrite Linux images onto floppy disks to take home, and I
> accidentally put the dd output to /dev/sd0 instead of /dev/fd0
> ... goodbye, HD partitions.  Hello, reinstall.

Sounds like my first time using tar...  I didn't quite grok how the
"f" command worked and ended up writing my tarfile to /dev/hda.  It
bombed in fairly short order and, luckily, hda1 was a FAT partition
with MSDOS running on it (this was back in '94 or '95) and, after
formatting it, I decided to try the MSDOS "unformat" command.  I got
lucky and managed to save the content of the disk, although about
half the filenames in the root directory were trashed.

Hopefully, that's close enough to 'rm -rf /' that I'll never have to
do the other.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss