Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I do agree with his beefs about the annoying help screens at every
> turn in dselect.  Worse yet, I've been hitting space to clear the damn
> thing since bo, only to have them change it to enter this revision.
> Why can't it be both?

echo expert >~/.dselect.cfg

And never see them again.

What confused me is that both reviews chose to go into dselect, even
though the woody installer defaults to not running it if you choose to
run tasksel.

Anyway, sarge when it offers to let you run aptitude or tasksel or
dselect, describes dselect like this:

 'dselect' is an older package selector that many people find hard to use,
 but some oldtimers still swear by it (rather than at it).

If reviewers of sarge go ahead and run dselect, we can guess that they are
intentionally trying to write a very negative review. Right now, I can only
hypothesize that this was the case with these 2 reviews that ran dselect.

> The Debian Desktop idea is almost a good one, but then again, that's
> why themes.org exists.  Why duplicate that effort here?

Well, that's really the only idea from that review that I would really like to
see happen. The current desktop task is maintained by three people who don't
really use desktops (I've used the desktop task once, in installing gnome on my
sister's machine, and that was the first time I installed gnome. This was after
co-maintaining that task for a year.). If someone who really uses this stuff
wants to come up with an excellent desktop and better tuned set of packages to
replace that task, and integrate and polish the whole thing, that would be a
good thing.

--
see shy jo