Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

on 10/21/02 6:56 AM, Paul Johnson stated:

> On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 07:53:30PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>>     An Unbiased Review of Debian 3.0
>>     Submitted by bfeeney on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 21:41
>>     http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=831
>
> OK, responding section for section...
>
> Installation:
> He makes comments extensively on SuSE, Red Hat and Mandrake, but shows
> no real understanding or explain his issues with the Debian installer
> other than that it "is the worst installer [he's] had to use."  He
> also implies the base install is too simplistic.

<Snip>

I felt I had to at least say a few things short as they may be.

We are a Web Development/Hosting Provider. We use Sun/Cobalt and the Debians
for our stable of servers. The Raq's handle our hosting issues and the
Debians do our DNS, MySQL, Postgres and Backup functions as well as handle
odd ball needs in regard to hosting. We also have all our Mailman users on
the Debian.

We tried the Redhat distro's and found them to be F&*ked. We did the FreeBSD
and found them to restrictive.

We have done net installs of the Debian and I would have to say they work
like a charm. Infact we just finished updating our last Potato build to
Woody this morning doing the apt-get -fuy dist-upgrade and it went perfect.

We have nothing but bug issues with Sun and the fact that Sun releases
patches weeks or months later then other dist. Some then release and the
screw the box and all we get back is coming soon a fix that never appears.

For web hosting needs, Debian will be our boxes OS choice until someone
builds a better OS.

My 2¢
--
Thanks!!