Re: inittab and graphical login

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 09:28, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Paul" == Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>     Paul> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:47:42AM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh
>     Paul> wrote:
>     >> id:2:initdefault:
>     >>
>     >> i thought with this, i will get a text login. but i always
>     >> end-up in gdm!!
>
>     Paul> No, no.  You're thinking Red Hat runlevels.[1]
>
>     >> how do i stop this? i will like to have text login prompt.
>
>     Paul> Go into /etc/rc2.d and mv S99gdm K99gdm and this should
>     Paul> prevent gdm from starting up.
>
> IMHO this is a better way (and more correct) than apt-removing gdm.
>
> You should do the same for S99kdm and S99xdm if you have them. This
> way you can always change your runlevel to 2 for text logins, and use
> the others for normal X logins if you ever want to. If you remove gdm
> you lose that option.
>
> BTW, in Debian all multi-user run levels are set up to be the same by
> default. You are supposed to customize them as you need. You should
> read the policy manual if you are interested in details:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
>
> Cheers!
> Shyamal

If you are going to get into shuffling around these items, I would
suspect that long-term package management considerations *might* be
better respected if you use update-rc.d(8) to make your changes, rather
than just diving in and renaming files that are *managed* by dpkg.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org